- Ice Cube Painting: Place water in small Dixie cups or an ice cube tray. When partially frozen, insert a popsicle stick and return to freezer. Sprinkle dry tempera paint onto paper and use the ice cube to paint with. As the cube melts, it will mix with the dry paint. These make a lovely watercolour painting.
- Sugar Cube Igloo: Glue sugar cubes together to create an igloo.
- Paper Bag Penguins: Stuff a paper lunch bag with newspaper, fold over the top, and staple closed. Paint the entire bag black and let dry. Cut a white body from construction paper and glue onto the front of the penguin. Add eyes and a beak. Cut feet from construction paper and glue to the bottom of the bag.
- Polar Bear Puppets: Use white paper lunch bags (or paint brown ones white) to create puppets. Add construction paper ears and facial features.
- Arctic Hare: Cover a construction paper bunny shape with white cotton balls.
- Arctic Finger Puppers: Make finger puppets from white fake fur, white felt, and googly eyes.
- Collage: Provide white paper and white items for children to create a white-on-white snow collage.
- Camouflage: Glue cut out white animals such as an Arctic hare, Arctic fox, and polar bear onto white paper. Have the children find the animals camouflaged in the "snow".
- Ice and Snow Experiments: Demonstrate freezing water from liquid to solid and melting ice from solid to liquid.
- Add arctic animals to the block center so children can build them homes.
- Add lots of white props for dressing up as arctic animals.
- I'm A Little Penguin
- Ahoy There Little Polar Bear
- Freeze Tag: One person is "it" and tags the other children. When they are tagged, they must remain frozen with their arms stretched out until another child runs under their arm. When someone is tagged 3 times, they become "it".
Water & Sand Play
- Add snow and white plastic animals to the water table. Provide mittens for the children to wear while playing in the 'Arctic'.
- Build snow shelters outside. Omit the roof for safety reasons!
Field Trips/Special Days
- Visit a zoo and view the Arctic animals.
I'm a little Penguin
I'm a little penguin on the ice
I think the cold is very nice
I can hop around first once, then twice
I think ice is very nice.
I'm a little penguin, black and white
Short and wobbly, an adorable sight
I can't fly, but I love to swim
So I'll waddle to the water and dive right in!
Feed the Sea Lion Matching Game
Arctic / Antarctic
Polar Bear Colours