Halloween Safety Tips
- Use bright clothing for costumes or add reflective tape so children can be easily seen. Have children carry a flashlight.
- Have a hearty warm dinner before trick or treating so children are not tempted to snack on uninspected candy.
- Provide a treat from home that the children may have while out and ensure that they know NOT to eat any candy until it has been inspected by an adult.
- If you have older children who are going out unaccompanied, pre-plan a route that they follow and set a time that they are to be home. Check to make sure that at least one person in the group is wearing a watch.
- If the children are going to a Halloween party after trick or treating, have them call you to let you know that they have arrived at the party destination.
- Inspect all candy before consumed and throw out packages with any openings or signs of tampering.